[Samba] DNS updates, machine name changes...

Greg Sloop <gregs@sloop.net> gregs at sloop.net
Thu Nov 9 18:09:03 UTC 2023

We have a situation where AD's dns isn't right. It's a result of us
moving/renaming machines, so I'm sure it's a self-induced problem.
But I'm not sure the "right" way to go about fixing it.

So, here's how we "caused" it. Hopefully someone can tell me how to best
fix it.

Lets assume two machines.
Machine 1: BuildingA-Sales1.ad.somedomain.net
Machine 2: BuildingB-Finance2.ad.somedomain.net

Now assume the two machines/users swap places. And they take their machines
with them.
So now, machine 1: is BuildingB-Finance2.ad.somedomain.net
...and vice versa.

We did remove the machines from the domain and re-join them.
And while removed, we went and removed the machine accounts using the
Windows Computers/Users tool.
Then we re-joined the machines to the domain.

But the IP's they resolve to are reversed.
For example; Machine 1 is till resolving to the IP it would get in Building
A, (different IP netblock) instead of the block it's actually getting in
Building B. (i.e. dig  BuildingB-Finance2.ad.somedomain.net returns the IP
"Machine 1" is getting in Building A.)

I think I've seen this get discussed recently, and if someone can point me
at that discussion instead of typing a new reply, (or at a wiki article)
that would be fab.

So, how do I do this "right"?

TIA
-Greg