[Samba] Again kea DHCP-Server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 2 16:59:59 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 16:37:42 +0000
Owen DeLong <Owen.Delong at ff.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 18:34:44 +0000
> Owen DeLong via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Well… I’m not convinced KEA can’t be simple DHCP, though I
> > understand that one would never know that from reading the KEA
> > documentation.
> >
> > The following is a complete KEA configuration suitable to do a
> > single subnet. In fact, you could probably get away with slightly
> > less. I’ve replaced the unique addresses from my environment with
> > placeholders (e.g. <network/mask>), but otherwise, this is a
> > working configuration from a real environment. I find it easier to
> > use KEA in simple environments than keep track of multiple DHCP
> > servers and go back and forth amongst their quirks, so I use KEA
> > even in the few simple environments I manage.

You seem to be missing the whole point behind running a dhcp server on
a Samba AD DC. The wiki page was written because a Unix domain member
could not update their dns records in Samba AD. When the wiki page was
written, using isc-dhcp-server was the easiest option and provided
small Samba domain a way to update dhcp records in AD, It was never
really meant for large scale networks.

Whilst Kea is great, it is also huge and isn't really what a small
Samba AD domain needs.

As I have already said, if you think that Kea is the way forward, then
make it work with Samba and then add it to the Samba wiki.

My personal feelings are that if you can easily configure Kea with
Samba, then you probably wouldn't read the wiki.

Rowland