[Samba] Wiki: Standalone server

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Jan 5 08:10:36 UTC 2016

Hai Marc,

First best wishes and happy new year.

This one looks great, but your missing one thing imo.

You can do the same without a local user when you change
        map to guest = Bad User
        map to guest = Bad Password

Which gives also the advantage, that you dont need to have a local user on a windows system, which popups up with a password and where lots of peoople have problems with.

And offcourse the share needs 777 and not 775,
or rights forced from share ( which i use at home )

So my suggestion

2A) A basic smb.conf	( which user rights/acl, proceed to chapter 3 )
2B) A basic smb.conf 	( a open server, no rights, all mapped to nobody )
You can still use the acl on linux to force rights, but a use mapping must be possible between windows and samba. So windows and samba user/pass must be the same.

When do you use something like this.
For example my kodi server has open shares.
Like :
\\kodi\media  ( open share. )
\\kodi\backup ( open share with acl. )
I have a match user/pass for this one.

And just a question, have you tried to access the server from win7+
With only \\servername
I bet you get a popup to authenticate.. user Guest is disabled in windows.
So the user mapping between the pc and samba goes wrong.

Just my thoughts.

Greetz,

Louis