[Samba] Segmentation Fault when trying to set root samba password, IPA as a backend

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Feb 29 10:34:14 UTC 2016

On 29/02/16 10:04, Martin Juhl wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is samba-4.2.3-11.el7_2.x86_64 on CentOS...
>
> I'm trying to setup a Samba NT4 domain, with FreeIPA as a backend...
>
> Right now everything works.. except that I need a Domain Adminstrator...
>
> smbpasswd -a root, segfaults... probably because the user doesn't exist in FreeIPA
>
> If I create the root user in FreeIPA, it instead gives:
>
> [root at bart samba]# LANG=en smbpasswd -a root
> No builtin backend found, trying to load plugin
> Module 'ipasam' loaded
> smbldap_open_connection: connection opened
> ldap_connect_system: successful connection to the LDAP server
> pdb_init_ipasam: support for pdb_enum_upn_suffixes enabled for domain bolls.lan
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
> init_sam_from_ldap: Entry found for user: root
> ERROR: Got 0 entries for gid 0, expected at least one
> ERROR: Got 0 entries for gid 0, expected at least one
> Forcing Primary Group to 'Domain Users' for root
> Failed to modify entry for user root.
>

> I can't create a user with uid=0 or gid=0 in FreeIPA...
>
> I have also tried changing the administrator user:
>
> pdbedit -U S-1-5-21-3189138339-1730592290-4215248117-500 -u mj -r -d 7
>
> but it also fails:
>
> http://pastebin.com/8tpuD6Eg
>

> Config:
>
> [global]
>          bind interfaces only = yes
>          enable privileges = yes
>          workgroup = BOLLS
>          netbios name = BART
>          realm = BOLLS.LAN
>          kerberos method = dedicated keytab
>          dedicated keytab file = FILE:/etc/samba/samba.keytab
>          create krb5 conf = no
>          security = user
>          domain master = yes
>          domain logons = yes
>          log level = 3
>          max log size = 100000
>          log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>          passdb backend = ipasam:ldaps://lisa.bolls.lan
>          disable spoolss = yes
>          ldapsam:trusted = yes
>          ldap ssl = off
>          ldap suffix = dc=bolls,dc=lan
>          ldap user suffix = cn=users,cn=accounts
>          ldap group suffix = cn=groups,cn=accounts
>          ldap machine suffix = cn=computers,cn=accounts
>          rpc_server:epmapper = external
>          rpc_server:lsarpc = external
>          rpc_server:lsass = external
>          rpc_server:lsasd = external
>          rpc_server:samr = external
>          rpc_server:netlogon = external
>          rpc_server:tcpip = yes
>          rpc_daemon:epmd = fork
>          rpc_daemon:lsasd = fork
>          logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
>          logon drive = H:
>          logon home = \\%L\%U
>
> [homes]
>          comment = Home Directories
>          valid users = %S
>          read only = No
>          browseable = No
> [printers]
>          comment = All Printers
>          path = /var/spool/samba
> [...]

First thing is, you shouldn't have a user called 'root' in your domain,
use a usermap to map 'Administrator' to 'root'

Can you try and create a new user with smbpasswd ?

I think you may be hitting the same problem that I have, smbpasswd will
create the user, but then segfaults when trying to add the password.

Rowland