[Samba] Shares with Windows ACLs on standalone server?

Matthias Leopold matthias at leopold.priv.at
Wed Sep 23 08:45:40 UTC 2015

Am 2015-09-22 um 09:00 schrieb Marc Muehlfeld:
> Hello Mathias,

> However, if you're not having any domain, you're looking for a
> standalone server (install Samba, setup share in smb.conf, create user).
> We don't have this in the Wiki yet, but there are thousands of pages out
> there showing examples.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

this seems to be a mat{,t}hias discussion ;-)

Marc, you said i can have windows ACLs on a standalone server. How do i
accomplish the
"https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_Windows_ACLs#SeDiskOperatorPrivilege"

part when i don't have a domain?

furthermore i'm in the situation where i can't write to the ldap server.
i was thinking of a similar setup like it is mentioned here
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-June/087963.html, ie.
multiple passdb backends, so i can assign privileges locally

our setup (readonly ldap) does work with standalone samba 3.6 and POSIX
ACLs. i'm currently trying to use it with samba 4.1 and windows ACLs
although i don't exactly know what the benefits of windows ACLs are. i
just want to have a situation where users can do as much share
configuration as possible themselves.

thank you very much for help
matthias