[Samba] source vs packaged for debugging (was: Re: Sernet 4.3.X package is no longer free :/)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 22 09:08:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-09-21 at 10:58 +0200, mathias dufresne wrote:
> Mailing lists often don't like manually compiled software, too much
> different choices to try to reproduce errors.

G'Day,

I would like to make clear that as a developer, I'm generally not very
interested in how your Samba install was compiled or built - the
details that matter are almost always unrelated to that.  The smbd
binary has a great flag (-b) to let us know most of the details about
how it was built, if we need to work that out.

Indeed, I will often ask our users having issues to rebuild with -
-enable-developer, so we can get a backtrace, so in some ways a source
build is easier - but on the flip side a source build won't auto-update
when we have a security issue, so we generally suggest a maintained
package.

I hope this clarifies things.

Andrew Bartlett