[Samba] (SOLVED) Accidentially upgraded production DC to git master branch

Pinja-Liina Jalkanen pinja-liina.jalkanen at vihreat.fi
Wed Sep 16 13:41:11 UTC 2015

On 11/09/15 01:49, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-09-10 at 16:04 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>
>> The wiki used to have a warning about using samba from git in
>> production
>> (why did you remove it Marc ?). You cannot be sure that it isn't
>> broken,
>> it shouldn't be, but it could be. What is in samba-master gets
>> branched
>> off for the next release (or so I understand), this is then released
>> as
>> 'rc' candidates to find and fix any bugs, you are therefore getting
>> any
>> possible unfixed bugs by using samba-master. I would suggest you use
>> the
>> latest stable version (4.3.0) instead, but of course, I cannot force
>> you
>> to do so.
>>

> I know it looks like that, but that isn't really how Samba development,
> particularly on the AD DC, actually works.
>
> git master is actually pretty good, most of the time.

Sorry for the late reporting, but Andrew is right, at least in this
particular case... because I downgraded from the master release to 4.3.0
without any problems (quite like Rowland suggested). No FSMO role
transfers or seizes, DC removals, metadata cleanups or anything complex
like that. No post-downgrade replication or dbcheck errors.

That is: Problem solved, and everything is nicely running 4.3.0 now. :)
Thanks for the team for comments & suggestions!

--
Pinja-Liina Jalkanen
Vihreät / De Gröna