[Samba] Testing AD with first XP client

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Sep 11 18:27:19 UTC 2015

On 09/11/2015 02:15 PM, Sketch wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2015, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> So now I am up to testing the AD from the network.  I am using an XP
>> client (the only Win OS I have here) The notebook is a 'new' load
>> with all patches. It does not have user login control yet (so
>> effectively in as Administrator on it) and workgroup is WORKGROUP.
>
> I take it that means you haven't joined the domain yet.  That would be
> my first step in testing.

I am trying first guest workstation...

>> Net view /DOMAIN:HOME.HTT
>>
>> came back (after a long wait) with:
>>
>> System error 6118 has occured.
>>
>> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.
>>
>> I did set 'guest ok = yes' for the [Demo] share.
>
> I'm not really familiar with the NET commands on Windows (particularly
> VIEW), but /DOMAIN might not work if you're not on the domain.

I go back to the start of Windows networking.  We did everything from
the DOS prompt.

>   You might just try browsing to \\homebase\demo in explorer.  Or "net
> use Z: \\homebase\demo"

Good point.  I tried that and actually was asked for user name for
'homebase'.  So since none of my users got added by classicupdate (and
no one has pointed me to what to look for to troubleshoot this), I tried
'Administrator' (both cap and lower) and the passwork I use for
samba-tool and got 'password or user name is invalid'  I think checked with:

# wbinfo -u
administrator
dns-homebase
dhcpduser
krbtgt
guest

I also tried guest with no password and that failed.