[Samba] ldbedit: no matching records - cannot edit (newly-created user)

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Fri Sep 11 14:48:27 UTC 2015

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:44:01 -0500 (CDT)
Sketch <smblist at rednsx.org> wrote:

[snip]
> ... it's best to keep LDAP user ids assigned to a higher range
> which will never conflict with local users, so I would consider this
> a positive "limitation", and might even consider lowering UID_MAX if
> i had pre-existing domain UIDs inside this range.

TBH: I find this kind of view, similar to others I see posted, here,
kind of astonishing.  Perhaps it goes a long way to explaining just
why Samba4 is, essentially, so "Unix-hostile."

I guess few? none? of you are operating in a heterogeneous environment,
where there is a mix of Unix, Linux and MS-Win users. Ours is.  And
some of those users use both MS-Win *and* Linux.  One or two use Sun
Sparc Solaris, one-or-another flavour Linux (mostly Mint or Ubuntu,
these days) *and* MS-Win.

It may seem odd, to some of you, but when my multi-platform users log on
to MS-Win or *nix: They expect to see their files and directories,
regardless of which platform they're using.  They don't expect to see
their "Windows stuff" in one place and their "Unix stuff" in another.

So, yes, the UIDs/GIDs have to be *nix user UIDs and GIDs.

No offense intended, to you, anybody else on this mailing list or the
Samba4 devs: But if we wanted separate MS-Win and *nix environments we
could just go out and buy a MS-Win server and run AD from that.  Would
certainly save *me* a lot of trouble.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is