[Samba] How to update Samba 4.1.17 member server on Debian Wheezy from Backports.

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:29:17 UTC 2015

On 09/09/15 16:17, James wrote:
> On 9/9/2015 10:47 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
>> On 09/09/15 14:42, James wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>       I normally build and install everything from a tarball. With the
>>> help of the list I was able to install a member server on Debian Wheezy
>>> from backports. However I do not know how to update to Samba 4.3.0. Can
>>> someone lend some guidance? Thanks.
>>>
>> Before we get into how, can I ask why ?
>> Are you having problems with your member server that are fixed in
>> 4.3.0 or do you just want to be running the latest samba version ?
>>
>> If it is the later, then it probably isn't worth the effort upgrading,
>> if it is the former, then I would wait a short while and (presumably)
>> Sernet will provide 4.3.0 packages.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> A few reasons are
>
>    * SMB2 leases
>    * SMB 3.1.1 support
>    * Snapper VFS module
>
> It's not something I need to partake at this very moment, but it is
> something I would like to do to take advantage of at some point as I
> migrate workstations from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
>
> Again no problems but I would feel better having a game plan in place
> when push comes to shove. Thanks.

OK, all valid points, rather than going down the 'compile samba
yourself' path, I would wait, what I am sure will be a short time, until
Sernet releases a 4.3.0 set of packages. These should just replace your
debian packages, but If there are any problems, I don't think they will
be hard to fix.

Rowland