[Samba] does ldapsearch work in Samba4

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Thu Sep 3 09:29:03 UTC 2015

Does ldapsearch work with Samba4 since it has it's own LDAP server? I've seen a
number of ldap related posts here and I'm trying to head down that road for
Dovecot authentication, but I'm getting stopped right away. For example, the
following doesn't work:

$ ldapsearch -xLLL -H ldap://localhost:389 \
  -D "cn=Administrator,dc=HPRS,dc=local" -W -b "dc=HPRS,dc=local"
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
        additional info: Simple Bind Failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

but ...

$ ldbsearch -H ldap[s]://localhost -U Administrator

returns 307 records of apparently everything.

There was a related post back in April, 2011, but it trailed off.

--Mark