[Samba] samba4 object named "domain admins" not found error

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Fri Oct 30 04:01:45 UTC 2015

I'm logged into a Windows 7 client using the domain Administrator
account (not the local admin). I'm using the Computer Management |
System Tools | Shared Folders | Shares  the right click on the share and
select Properties to set permissions for a share. I want to add the
domain admins and domain users to the basic share permissions (Everyone,
CREATOR OWNER & CREATOR GROUP) but when I try, I get the error mentioned
on the subject line.

Similarly, when I use the Security tab instead of the Share Permissions
tab, I can't add Domain Admins although Domain Users is already there.

Similarly, when I try to add my domain user account to the permissions
for a file on the share (right-click on the file in Windows Explorer,
properties, security), I get the same error.

Any idea what's going wrong?