[Samba] log level and samba-tool domain demote

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 16:02:56 UTC 2015

Hi all,

After installing a bunch of new AD DC using the 4.3.1 version I decided to
remove the old ones.

On one DC I've set up log level as follow:
log level = 1 auth:9 registry:7 winbind:7 passdb:7 sam:3 rpc_srv:2 rpc_cli:2

First I'm not sure this is the right way to declare specific log levels but
man smb.conf gives me:
Example: log level = 3 passdb:5 auth:10 winbind:2

So it sems, to me, my log level directive is correct.

But once I tried to demote the DC with these specific log levels I get the
following error:

samba-tool domain demote --kerberos=yes
Using m700.samba.domain.tld as partner server for the demotion
ERROR(<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>): uncaught exception - invalid literal
for int() with base 10: '1 auth:9 registry:7 winbind:7 passdb:7 sam:3
rpc_srv:2 rpc_cli:2'
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line
175, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line
701, in run
    (drsuapiBind, drsuapi_handle, supportedExtensions) =
drsuapi_connect(server, lp, creds)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line 47, in
drsuapi_connect
    if int(lp.get("log level")) >= 5:

Is it a small bug or should I go to some optician to get some glasses?

Anyway it is not a real issue: that's the first time Samba is complaining
against my log level declaration and this server was about to be removed. I
removed the log level line and re-run the demote successfully.

Cheers,

mathias