[Samba] Can't get 'root preexec' to run

Ole Traupe ole.traupe at tu-berlin.de
Thu Oct 22 14:39:08 UTC 2015

No. You don't actually seem to reed what I am writing. I pointed out
that in the two scenarios I described before the [homes] section never
correctly comes into play.

Lets forget about the Windows part. ADUC is not creating the share as
the respective user and would just mess things up.

Lets focus on the Linux side instead. This [homes] section applies if
you try to access a share that doesn't exist - then that is created. But
on the other side, Unix users can only access something that is already
locally mounted - e.g. the home directory base folder (\\server\home
would it be addressed by Windows). So the user logging on to a domain
member server accesses something locally mounted to e.g. /home. So this
share already exists. Ergo, the [homes] section on the file server won't
come into play at all.

The only way this could work would be, if the user himself would mount
his personal share directly at logon. And this could be accomplished via
a logon script in the netlogon share OR a second 'root preexec' in the
[netlogon] section of smb.conf - both on the DC (the latter even
involving remote ssh mount commands executed on the domain member
server). But this seems awfully complicated to me and I wouldn't think
this is the intended use (which I am trying to figure out).

So I actually would like to ask one of the devs: how is this meant to be
used?