[Samba] Missing DNS entry after "domain join"

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 13:19:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

First I apologize to post on both mailing list but it seems it could be a
question for whose close enough to the code.

I'm using Samba 4.3.0 on Centos 7. This version was compiled automatically
when building RPMs, to do that I used a spec file from Sernet 4.1.x version.

With these packages I set up an AD domain controller which seems well
configured.
Joining a second DC (let's call it DC2) to that domain there no DNS entry
created for DC2.domain.tld when until now, this entry was always created.
Another missing entry is related to objectGUID CNAME record of the new
joined Domain Controller as shown in the following link:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Check_and_fix_DNS_entries_on_DC_joins

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought this missing entry was solved months ago
and I also thought this issue was not present when using Samba 4.2.3 from
Sernet package.

Both domain controllers have the default smb.conf generated by samba-tool
command (one with provision, one with join).

I could of course give more information about how I compiled this version -
I would certainly need help to run the right command to extract the right
information - if needed.

The question: any idea why these entries are missing? Is there some patches
to make automatically created?

I have a script to perform commands shown in previous link to create
missing DNS record regarding objectGUID and I'd like to be able to remove
that script rather than upgrading it to create also standard DNS entry when
a new DC is added : )

In advance, thank you for your help!

Best regards,

mathias