[Samba] Question Wiki Setup a Samba Active Directory Domain Controller

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Mon Oct 5 18:31:38 UTC 2015

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On 05/10/15 18:56, Birgit Berger (UV Wien) wrote:
>> How do I stop scripts samba, smbd and nmbd being run at startup?
>
> I do not know because you are using Debian Jessie, this uses systemd which I
> absolutely refuse to use!
>
> Perhaps somebody else can tell you how to do this and explain just how they
> are all got started, because if you don't know how to stop them, I presume
> you don't know how they got started in the first place.

To disable systemd services:

systemctl disable samba
systemctl disable smbd
etc

However, it does not normally handle traditional init files, which his
services appear to be.  At least in the redhat world, it redirects
enable/disable calls for non-systemd services to chkconfig.  I don't know
if it does the same on debian (does it have chkconfig?), uses another
tool, or does nothing.  You may have to do things the (old) debian way,
which involves removing symlinks from /etc/rc<runlevel>.d/ (or creating
them to start a service in taht runlevel).