[Samba] No more replication for new DC

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 14:29:29 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Thank you for tips Andrew, unfortunately I have vague notions about C and
these notions are growing old. I was not able to understand anything there
except that the function descriptor_modify(module, sub_req) was not
successful, without the slightest idea about what could contain variables
module or sub_req.

Anyway, last few hours I was working on that subject.
I first opened DNS tool from RSAT on Windows and remove all traces of old
DCs, everywhere.
I looked for '(invocationId=*)' --cross-ncs objectguid in the DB and also
remove manually references to old DCs.
I looked for CN=odlDCname and remove also the few entries and their
children which were remaining.

I also used an awk script to force creation of DNS entries mentioned by
"samba_dnsupdate --verbose --all-names", on all DCs.

And I have no idea if this helps.

Anyway I finally tried to run:
samba-tool drs replicate m704 m702 --add-ref --sync-forced --sync-all
--full-sync *--local* --kerberos yes DC=samba,DC=domain,DC=tld

Before that I was trying different ways to run drs replicate but always
without that --local switch.

And with that --local switch the DB was eventually replicated from m702
(the looking-like-broken FSMO owner) to m704 (the local server where the
command was ran).

Better: following that I've added some new users using ldif file and ldbadd
on m702 and this change was automatically replicated on m704.

So I installed another DC, joined it and waited several minutes, less than
30 minutes which should have been enough, and no replication happened. The
whole DB one that new DC was containing 264 entries.
As I'm not too patient, I ran also that new server a "samba-tool drs
replicate..." including --local and I stopped that command few second after
the launch. The replication process was started after that. Did the
replication started because of the command or because it needed time to
start, no idea yet. That's why I've installed another DC, joined it and now
I will wait until tomorrow morning to see if replication process start by
himself or not.

Of course in the middle of all that I restarted samba and also the servers.
This for newly added DC and for the old ones.

I'll be back tomorrow or earlier to tell if replication process started by
himself or not.

Best regards,

mathias