[Samba] Cannot chown file to active directory user/group on member server

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 18:32:21 UTC 2015

On 18/11/15 18:18, Jeff Dickens wrote:

> ​ I will make a concerted effort to distill what I've learned and
> return it to the community.  If the talk pages in the wiki were
> enabled it would be easier for me to point out things I find less than
> clear, but I assume that's because you want to keep discussions in one
> place (here).

If you think that something on the wiki is unclear, please tell us what
you do not understand and if required, the wiki will be altered.

> At
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member#Using_domain_accounts.2Fgroups_in_OS_commands
> the 2nd condition (the accounts and groups have rfc2307 attributes)
>  it would be good to have a way to check this with a command on the DC.

This may be easier said than done, it would have to be a subcommand of
samba-tool and just what would you check for?
I mean, what if only a few users are meant to have uidNumbers, how would
you differentiate between the users that should and the users that
don't. You could, I suppose, check if an individual user or group had
the attributes, but then again, if you ran getent passwd username you
can tell from the result, if the uid is in the 3000000 range, then the
user doesn't have a uidNumber.

> Thanks for all your patient help.. I think I should be able to get it
> going when next I can spend a chunk of time​
> ​ on it.​

Glad to help, any other questions, just ask.

Rowland