[Samba] AD: Replication on different network interface than standard traffic

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 12:11:37 UTC 2015

> Hello Mathias,
>
> Am 13.11.2015 um 11:41 schrieb mathias dufresne:
> > Is it possible to force replication traffic between AD DCs on a different
> > interface than the one used for normal traffic?
>
> Do you mean, you want to access the shares on your DC e. g. via eth0 and
> let the DCs do directory replication via eth1?

Exactly.

> I don't see a way to configure that and I haven't heard yet, that this
> is possible with Windows DCs.

That's what I expected.

> What should be a reasonable use case for
> such a setup?

The company I'm working for has a network dedicated to traffic between
servers. They'd like the replication uses that network rather than the one
used to authenticate users (of course this authentication network is also
used by others applications/services).

As I'm still waiting for a real test platform I have no real idea about
amount of bandwith consumed by replication, that's also why they asked for
moving this traffic elsewhere. I hope replication won't need too much
bandwith, which seems the case (I never saw a DC consuming more than
130kB/s).

Cheers,

mathias