[Samba] idmap & migration to rfc2307

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Mon Nov 9 09:30:19 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-09 at 09:05 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 09/11/15 08:03, Michael Adam wrote:
> >>There are already many. Start with 10886.
> >Ah, thanks for the pointer.
> >We need to follow up on that.
>
> Let's be perfectly honest here, it was a mistake to not use the
> unixHomeDirectory & loginShell attributes from the very beginning of Samba4

Well, arguably so: In the beginning nsswitch integration was
not the major point, but windows-facing AD features were.

When nsswitch support was added, it was first done through
the s4-internal winbind. Now this has been replaced by
the s3-winbindd. winbindd is in principle capable of doing
these things, by virtue of the idmap_ad code. But it has
for a start been integrated differently, directly accessing
the sam db and idmap db. And that code apparently needs to
be extended to do the same. I fully agree it should!

Now we need to find someone to hack on this. :-)
I can give it a try, if none of the s4-devs is
looking into it, but it may take a while...

> and as such, this makes it the longest running bug of all!

Well, possibly. I am afraid there are even longer running ones ... ;-)

I'm embarrassed to see that we have been in discussion
on that BZ roughly a year ago. The good thing is that
we have just continued this very same discusion in this
thread here. :-)

Keep nagging!

Cheers - Michael