[Samba] idmap & migration to rfc2307

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 17:11:12 UTC 2015

On 07/11/15 17:01, Michael Adam wrote:
> On 2015-11-07 at 12:37 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
>>> # cat /etc/nsswitch.conf | egrep "(passwd|group)"
>>> passwd:     files sss
>>> group:      files sss
>>>
>>> But I don't think this is anything to do with sssd. As I understand it:
>>>
>>> Local machine UNIX use (i.e. logging in via ssh; looking at files on
>>> disk via "ls"; etc.) uses sssd, because this is what I have set in
>>> nsswitch.conf. This all works fine, I have no problems with this.
>>>
>>> "SMB file access" (i.e. a Windows client machine elsewhere on the
>>> network, accessing resources via \\server\share\path) does not use
>>> sssd, but uses smbd + winbind/winbindd for UID resolution? This is the
>>> part that is failing intermittently.

>>> Does winbind/wbinfo ever query what is defined in /etc/nsswitch.conf,
>>> or does it always use the samba internal UID resolution? I thought it
>>> would bypass nsswitch.conf entirely - hence my suspicion that this is
>>> nothing to do with sssd.
>>>
>>> It's hard to reproduce this at will - right now "wbinfo -i myuser" is
>>> returning correct UID information. The problem (as far as i can tell)
>>> is that, every so often, despite me having "idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 =
>>> yes" in smb.conf, this same wbinfo command returns incorrect UID
>>> information (as also shown in "net cache list") and therefore this is
>>> why I cannot access files via smbd until I clear the idmap cache via
>>> "net cache flush".
>>>
>>> I'm trying to narrow it down to a particular set of circumstances but
>>> it's so intermittent, I'm really struggling.
>>>
>>> I would raise a bug on bugzilla but I'm not sure there's enough
>>> information here for someone familiar with the code to resolve it,
>>> yet.
>>>
>>> It is of course possible that I'm doing something wrong - but the
>>> thing that makes me convinced it's a bug is that I have /not/ changed
>>> my configuration in any way since June (when I last saw this issue).
>>> After my recent upgrade to 4.3 the problem came back - I saw it again
>>> last night - but has not reoccurred since then until now.. I really do
>>> think there is a subtle bug here.
>>>
>>> Is it worth me putting all this into a bugzilla entry, even though I
>>> haven't yet narrowed down the full circumstances under which it
>>> happens?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>
>> The problem is, sssd now uses its own version of winbind, this came in (I
>> believe) with version 1.12.0 but I 'think' red-hat backport some things to
>> earlier versions. As I understand it, you will be probably be using
>> 1.11.6-30 and it is the '30' that says what it contains, perhaps you are
>> using winbindd and don't realise it.
> As of Version 4.2, the Samba AD/DC is using winbindd by default.
> It is started by the samba daemon. Samba is designed to work
> with winbindd. sssd does not contain its own winbind, but it
> implements some parts of the winbind protocol. So my suggestion
> [...]

On the DC the users & groups get xidNumbers from idmap.ldb, but if they
are given uidNumbers and gidNumbers, these will be used instead. As far
as I am aware, it has always worked like this.

The only problem with using the DC as a fileserver is that the users
unixhomedirectory and loginshell are ignored, this is why people use
sssd etc, if somebody (and don't ask me, to me 'C' comes between 'B' &
'D') would make samba on the DC use all the RFC2307 attributes, there
would be no need to use sssd or nlscd.

Rowland