[Samba] Posix vs. Windows File/Directory Permissions

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Fri May 15 02:37:22 MDT 2015

Am 13.05.2015 um 19:53 schrieb Mike:
> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Klaus Hartnegg <hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Am 13.05.2015 um 17:30 schrieb Sébastien Le Ray:
>>
>>> No they aren't
>>>
>>> Yes they are

Yes indeed, Samba adjusts the Linux acls to match the Windows ACLs (as
well as Linux acls can).

> Using Rowland Penny's earlier example, I can see how a sysadmin can easily
> create conflicting permissions amongst multiple users, groups, and then OS
> acl types too.

Not sure which email you mean. I don't think that this can happen. If
the Linux acls are modified, the Windows ACLs are destroyed and all is
based on the Linux permissions and acls (which looks strange when viewed
from Window). If the Windows ACLs are modified, Samba automatically
adjusts the Linux acls accordingly. They should always be in sync.