[Samba] Debian Jessie AD DC w. BIND9 : DNS update fails for debian squeezy member server

Timo Altun olol13.samba at the-1337.org
Fri Mar 20 09:47:55 MDT 2015

I'm sorry it got confusing, changed the topic and I'll try to explain. I am
using Jessie on the DC. Server13 is a linux file server and domain member,
it is on squeeze. If possible, I do not want to upgrade it. The problem
here is, that it does not seem to generate a DNS record when joining the
domain and, after setting up the new smb.conf, the users aren't passed on
from winbind to the local authentication tools. It also caused the single
share I set up in the smb.conf to be unaccessible by user administrator.
Maybe something with the keytab file is not working.

Domain users have uidNumbers north of 10k, gidNumber are >20k. Doesn't the
classicupgrade function check if these are in order?
The errors in the /etc/hosts file were generated by my mail client. First
line is as you said Rowland.

The krb.conf was as long and ugly as the smb.conf, already cut most of it,
but your 3 line example configuration did not work fully. With the
following getting kerberos tickets and the domain join are still working.

Thanks for the ongoing support!

My krb5.conf:
[libdefaults]
 default_realm = INTRANET.MAYWEG.NET
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = true

[realms]
INTRANET.MAYWEG.NET = {
kdc = 192.168.11.250
admin_server = 192.168.11.250
default_domain = INTRANET.MAYWEG.NET
}

[domain_realm]
.intranet.mayweg.net = INTRANET.MAYWEG.NET
intranet.mayweg.net = INTRANET.MAYWEG.NET

On 20 March 2015 at 16:00, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> On 20/03/15 14:49, Timo Altun wrote:
>
>> Ok, I setup a new smb.conf and rebooted. Winbind doesn't seem to pass on
>> the domain users anymore and the DNS Update during domain join still fails.
>> For some reason, although I have all samba 3.5.6. packages installed on
>> this debian squeeze samba -V or samba-tool are unknown commands.
>> Maybe this is why the dns update fails, some missing tools or commands?
>>

> Getting a bit lost now, I am sure that you were using Jessie ??

>> wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g return domain users and groups correctly, getent
>> passwd and getent group do not (did before the smb.conf changes).
>>

> Do your users in AD have a uidNumber that is inside the range
> 10000-999999, also does Domain Users (at least) have a gidNumber inside the
> same range ?

Yes, domain users have uidNumbers north of 10k, gidNumber are >20k. Doesn't