[Samba] Domain controller in a chroot

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 17 07:25:02 MDT 2015

On 17/03/15 13:15, Sébastien Le Ray wrote:

> Le 17/03/2015 12:40, Peter Serbe a écrit :
>>> "is it feasible/are there any caveat"
>> Baseline is: not feasible.
>> The baseline is: only one samba per box.
>> You need to different IPs, which operate
>> independently from each other, as You can't
>> move the ports, where Your daemons are listening.
>> You would also need different daemons listening
>> on these two IPs.
>
> So even with two interfaces and bind interfaces only you cannot do it?
> Sad
>
>> Even if this was possible, You would not find
>> someone having done it here. It is against all
>> the recommendations, and this hacked installation
>> is likely to be not manageable. It is that far
>> away from the ordinary use case, that I would
>> advise to think for some different way to achive
>> Your goal. Whatever it was (as we don't have
>> gotten it by now...).
> Well… Having a VM just to split the DC from the file server seems a
> little overkill, so I guess I'll have to switch to Samba 4.2 in order
> to have a usable winbindd on the DC
>
> Regards,

Ah, but from my testing, winbindd on 4.2 works very similar to winbind,
it still ignores most of the RFC2307 attributes and as I understand it,
trusts still do not work.

Why don't you buy a cheap refurbished PC and use that, after a quick
search, I found that I can buy one for approx £80 inc vat very easily,
or if you only have a few users, there is always a raspberrypi 2 $35

Rowland
Rowland