[Samba] AD DC out of sync

Dr. Lars Hanke lars at lhanke.de
Fri Mar 13 05:00:47 MDT 2015

Unsure, whether this is another symptom of the same disease:

While configuring a member CUPS print server and checking the syslog for
an entirely different reason I was surprised to see the following log
entries (and many more similar):

Mar 13 11:36:10 snorri nslcd[11752]: [4a481a] <passwd="mgr">
ldap_result() failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Mar 13 11:36:10 snorri nslcd[11752]: [4a481a] <passwd="mgr">
ldap_abandon() failed to abandon search: Can't contact LDAP server:
Transport endpoint is not connected
Mar 13 11:36:10 snorri nslcd[11752]: [9abb43] <passwd=1001>
ldap_result() failed: Can't contact LDAP server
Mar 13 11:36:10 snorri nslcd[11752]: [9abb43] <passwd=1001>
ldap_abandon() failed to abandon search: Can't contact LDAP server:
Transport endpoint is not connected

Okay doing:

ldapsearch -LLL -D "CN=Administrator,CN=Users,DC=ad,DC=microsult,DC=de"
-H ldap://ad.microsult.de -x -W '(uid=mgr)' uid uidNumber gidNumber
sAMAccountName name gecos

works nicely. I can also specify each DC separately as LDAP URI. Login
to the machine, id, getent everything works, but sometimes produces the
said log entries, and take a considerable time then. =nscd= is stopped
on the machine.

Currently everything is running smoothly. In the time where I see the
most entries I also had several brief pauses in my music - served via
Kerberized NFS4 with AD serving NSS and Kerberos.

Some time before that, I applied today's Debian security updates to both
DC and changed /etc/resolv.conf for the primary DC to not point to
itself anymore.

However, second's silences are not uncommon in my setup. When they
become more frequent, this is usually a dire indication that something
is about to break. And it generally does not coincide with any work on
the DC.

>>> Any idea, what I should do next time to obtain valuable output for
>>> debugging?

Which is still the challenging question! ;)

>> * What Samba version are you running?
>
> The DCs are 4.1.17-Debian.
>
>> * How many DCs?
>
> Just two.