[Samba] Samba 3.6 security fixes

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 29 02:50:31 MDT 2015

On 29/06/15 09:30, John Blac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Good day! I have a few questions regarding the status of Samba 3.6, I know
> it's now EOL but I'll ask anyway.
>
> We currently have a large install base of Samba version 3.6 at the moment
> in our environment and we can't migrate immediately.
>
> My question is, do you still release security patches (at least the highly
> critical ones) for Samba 3.6? Or is it completely unsupported now?
>
> Thank you

Hi, whilst I cannot speak for the devs, 3.6 went EOL on 2015-03-04 and
it *may* get updates for a CVE, but I wouldn't bank on it.

I cannot understand you saying that you can't 'migrate' yet, what is
wrong with upgrading Samba ? Samba 4 can do everything that 3.6 can,
there may have to be slight modifications to smb.conf but it should work
(unless you are running samba in a weird way).

It may help if you posted a sanitized version of your present smb.conf

Rowland