[Samba] Samba 3.6 security fixes

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon Jun 29 14:52:09 MDT 2015

Hello John,

Am 29.06.2015 um 10:30 schrieb John Blac:
> I have a few questions regarding the status of Samba 3.6, I know
> it's now EOL but I'll ask anyway.
>
> My question is, do you still release security patches (at least the highly
> critical ones) for Samba 3.6? Or is it completely unsupported now?

Isn't the purpose of a product EOL to stop maintaining it? :-)

> We currently have a large install base of Samba version 3.6 at the
> moment in our environment and we can't migrate immediately.

Beside Volkers reply, that answers your question, what is the main
reason that you can't migrate? I just ask to make sure, that you don't
hit the common misconception, that Samba 4.x means AD only. See
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Common_misconceptions_about_Samba_4

Regards,
Marc