[Samba] Internal DNS CNAME To Amazon Web Services Problem

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Tue Jun 23 10:50:42 MDT 2015

Hello Samba Mailing List

We cannot ping or browse to our web site hosted on Amazon S3 because the CNAME entry in our Samba 4 Internal DNS does not resolve properly, and this maybe because of the old version of Samba we are running on our DC.

Samba version...

4.1.0pre1-GIT-8aae8b5

Command line used to add CNAME entry...

$ /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool dns add dc1 domain.com www CNAME www.domain.com.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com. -U Administrator

Testing...

$ /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool dns query localhost domain.com www CNAME -U Administrator
Password for [DOMAIN\Administrator]:
   Name=, Records=1, Children=0
     CNAME: www.domain.com.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com. (flags=f0, serial=58, ttl=900)

$ host www.domain.com
Host www.domain.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

$ host -t CNAME www.domain.com.
www.domain.com is an alias for www.domain.com.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com.

$ ping www.domain.com
ping: unknown host www.domain.com

Can you confirm that this problem is fixed in the latest stable version of Samba 4.2.2 please?

Thank you.

Regards,

Paul Littlefield