[Samba] CUPS backend question - Samba 4

Daniel Carrasco MarĂ­n danielmadrid19 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 19:56:32 UTC 2015

trever at middleearth.sapphiresunday.org>:

> Hi,
> >
> > Why don't you create a Member server with cups installed?. I suppose
> > that you have a gateway between both subnets, right?
> >
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_as_a_print_server
> >
> > With that, the cups server can authenticate the users using the DC
> > server and you just need to print directly to the member server
> > without use the DC as proxy.
> > A suggestion is to add the UNIX info for all DC users to avoid
> > problems with authentication against the print server.
> >
> > Maybe i'm wrong, but to print to DC using the printer from another
> > server you need to install cups on DC too.
> >
> > Greetings!!
> Daniel,
>
> Thank you for all of your questions/suggestions. The documents you gave
> are those that I was working with.
>
> To answer your first question, due to various restrictions and
> requirements there are two domains (no trusts in S4 yet) that both must
> access the printers. Things are a various hodgepodge of real and virtual
> machines, physical and virtual subnets, etc. Over the next year or two,
> I will be able to separate the two domains permanently and the two
> groups of nets/subnets. For now, I cannot. Memory and CPU are at a
> premium in this installation until then. So, if there is any way I can
> keep the CUPS server where it is and have S4 connect to it without the
> mess of getting another CUPS server running (memory, not just subnetting
> is an issue for the time being) it would be great.
>
> I don't really have to use Samba as the printer server (DC or member
> server) as Windows will print directly to CUPS. It just requires
> installation to be a little more intensive as you cannot use names for
> auto installing ipp printers (at least on Vista; although it seems 7 had
> the same restriction) and names are needed.
>
> Thank you,
> Trever

Hi, my english is poor and maybe i've misunderstand something but i
understand this:

   - You have two domains (one of them on Samba4) on a different subnets.
   - There is not trust between both
   - You have a Cups server to print.
   - You want to allow S4 DC users to print in the actual Cups server and
   avoid to create another cups server (memory limitations)

I'm right?

With this info i can suggest to configure the cups server to allow all to
print without authentication. You can allow a list of ip addresses to print
the server if you want to be more restrictive.

Maybe other with more experience will know a better way.

Greetings!!