[Samba] Windows users can't change password 4.1.6

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:59:03 MST 2015

Marc,

I'm using Samba 4.1.15 compiled from tar on Ubuntu 12.04 server. Win 7
64-bit Pro Workstation.

  samba-tool domain passwordsettings show
Password informations for domain 'DC=domain,DC=local'

Password complexity: on
Store plaintext passwords: off
Password history length: 24
Minimum password length: 7
Minimum password age (days): 1
Maximum password age (days): 90

I attempted 3 times to update password. I used two different users. Two
out of the 3 attempts "failed". I went into ADUC and checked off 'User
must change password at next logon'.

  * Entered current password
  * Prompt with "The user's password must be changed before logging on
    the first time."
  * Entered 'password' as new password
  * Failed as expected. 'Doesn't meet complexity requirements' prompt
  * Prompted to change password again and chose one that meet complexity
    rules.
  * Create new password. Received 'Your password has been changed'
    prompt. Click OK
  * Receive 'Your password has expired and must be changed' prompt.
    Click OK.
  * I then receive a strange screen. It displays Other User as username
    along with 3 white boxes with what looks like fields for old
    password and new password twice prompt.

I took a pic if needed. Not sure if I can post pics here.

--
-James