[Samba] Installing Samba 3

Karel Lang AFD lang at afd.cz
Tue Jan 27 02:57:04 MST 2015

Hi Gary,
Samba 3 will not be developed / supported any longer when Samba 4.2 is
released (which means soon).
Although, If you use RHEL then the Samba 3 will be supported by RH till
RHEL 6 reach EOL (at least that's what they say now).

I dont know your goal, but can't it be solved with other type of
security? Samba 4 support new SMB2 and SMB3 protocols compatible with
new windows 7,8 - the file transfer speeds will be badly affected on
newer windows client types.

As for uninstalling the Samba - just use 'yum' to list packages and then
"rpm -e --nodeps".

cheers
--
*Karel Lang*