[Samba] Moving DC1 to a Virtual Machine

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 26 08:08:15 MST 2015

On 26/01/15 14:55, Paul Littlefield wrote:
> On 26/01/15 13:06, Paul Littlefield wrote:
>> If I cannot switch from Gentoo to Ubuntu (I am currently testing in
>> VirtualBox Ubuntu Server fresh install)... then I will just use REAR
>> to do P2V and keep it Gentoo :(
>
> Hello All
>
> Alas, as predicted when I try to restore the 'real DC1' files to the
> 'virtual DC1' and test, it fails...
>

> root at samba:~# /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool", line 33, in <module>
>     from samba.netcmd.main import cmd_sambatool
>   File
> "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/__init__.py", line
> 27, in <module>
>     import samba.param
> ImportError: /usr/local/samba/lib/private/libserver-role.so: version
> `SAMBA_4.2.0PRE1_GIT_F8EC0F9' not found (required by
> /usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/param.so)
>

> ...which is why this was put on the official Samba Wiki and I did read
> it, but thought it was worth a try...
>

> "Very important notes:
> Never do a restore and a version change at once! Always restore on a
> system that uses the same Samba version than the one you created the
> backup on! Restore on a system with the same IP and Hostname.
> Otherwise you'll run into Kerberos and DNS issues. Recommended:
> Restore on the same OS than where you created the backup."
>

> So, it looks like I have to virtualise my real Gentoo DC1 and stick
> with that.
>
> Will I ever be able to swap operating system?!
>
> :(
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul Littlefield

Yes, set up a new DC with your new OS and join this to the domain, once
up and running, transfer the seven (yes, there are 7) FSMO roles to the
new DC. Once everything is running ok, turn off the old DC and remove
*all* mention of it from the domain.

Not easy, but it can be done.

Of course it would have been a lot easier if you hadn't used the samba
version from git. It would also be a lot better if people read and
accepted what is written on the wiki.

Rowland