[Samba] Problems with permissions

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 19 01:44:23 MST 2015

On 19/01/15 06:53, Dr. Harry Knitter wrote:
> Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> schrieb am 18.01.2015:
>> Who owns the share directory /home/ldap ?
> harry
>> Does 'harry' exist in /etc/passwd ?
> yes
>> Does the group 'users' exist in /etc/group and if so, does it have any
>> members ?
> yes
>> You do know that Unix acl's are not the same as Windows ACL's and to use
>> windows ACL's you will have to use vfs_acl_xattr
> I know, however, how do I have to use vfs_acl_xattr?
>
> Harry

You use it by adding a line to smb.conf 'vfs objects = vfs_acl_xattr' ,
if you add it to a share it will only affect that share, but if you add
it to the 'global' part it will affect all shares. You should also
install 'acl' if not already installed, then do some reading on using
setfacl & getfacl if you want to set the ACL's from Unix.

Rowland