[Samba] Update from Samba 3.6 to 4.1 on Debian

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Tue Jan 13 08:08:40 MST 2015

On 2015-01-13 15:30, Andreas Hauffe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read in the samba news, that everyone should update from Samba 3.6 to 4.x
> since Samba 3.6 will be discontinued by the release of 4.2.

Debian (and Canonical, and Redhat, …) support is independent from
upstream support. Samba 3.x in Wheezy/Ubuntu LTS/… will continue being
supported by their distributors until they're EOL. So there's no
immediate need to update everything.

> Is it possible just to remove/deinstall the Samba 3.6 package and then install
> the wheezy-backports of 4.1.11? Will all configuration and stuff be still
> there? Do I have to do further configurations to run the still NT4-Style
> domain?

No idea, we migrated from NT4 to an AD straight away.

> What is the common way to use samba in a heterogen environment?
>
> Acutally, we have an OpenLDAP,Kerberos,NFS4 environment for linux clients with
> samba 3.6 to integrate windows clients with an NT4-style domain. What is an
> good way to use Samba4 and the AD features? The linux clients needs fast
> read/write file access to the file server during scientific simulations.
> That's why we use NFS up to now.

Samba 4 doesn't support external LDAP backends any more, at least when
running as AD. As far as I know you'd need to set up Kerberos trust
between them and use different realms.

Sven Schwedas
Systemadministrator
TAO Beratungs- und Management GmbH | Lendplatz 45 | A - 8020 Graz
Mail/XMPP: sven.schwedas at tao.at | +43 (0)680 301 7167
http://software.tao.at