[Samba] getting permissions denied on home folders

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 8 09:07:31 MST 2015

On 08/01/15 15:41, Bob of Donelson Trophy wrote:

> I have a fresh Debian based Samba server and Member server setup.
>
> I have configured profiles and they appear to be saving properly to the
> member server.
>
> When I attempt to adjust file permissions (as instructed by the
> Sambawiki page "Samba & Windows Profiles") I am getting "Access Denied"
> complaints. These I believe (I could be wrong) relate to the file
> permissions within Debian member server.
>
> When I 'ls -alh /home/samba/DOMAIN/users' I get root:root owning both
> the single 'dot' and double 'dot' hidden files that are listed there.
> What should these permissions be? Or am I having some permissions issue
> between the DC and the member server?

Hi Bob, the 'hidden' dot files aren't really hidden, from your path, the
'.' is 'users' and '..' is 'DOMAIN' :-)

If, as seems, you created the directories as root, you should be good to
go, I think that it may be a problem with who is trying to set the ACL's
from windows. this needs to be Administrator, who should be mapped to
root (yes the user who owns the directory on the member server) via a
line in smb.conf and a file that the line refers to. i.e. 'username map
= /etc/samba/user.map' and 'user.map' containing just one line:

'!root = EXAMPLE\Administrator Administrator administrator'

Rowland