[Samba] Back with my UID problems

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 26 15:59:32 MST 2015

On 26/02/15 22:35, John Yocum wrote:
> On 02/26/2015 02:31 PM, Brett Wynkoop wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 19:48:07 +0000
>> Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As for creating users & groups, samba 4 comes with 'samba-tool' for
>>> more info on this, run 'samba-tool --help' or 'samba-tool user add
>>> --help', you can also run 'man samba-tool'
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>> Nothing in the samba-tool man page speaks to setting a specific UID for
>> a specific USER.  Please show me the passage in the samba-tool docs
>> that speak to this.  I am on 4.1.17.
>>
>> I could be wrong, but I believe I am finding documentation bugs and
>> shortcomings.  It would make sense for the project to fix documentation
>> if it leaves systems staff uninformed after reading it.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> -Brett
>>

> It's documented within samba-tool's builtin help... "samba-tool user add
> --help" will show that info. I do agree that info should be in the man
> page, and may in fact be in there with 4.2.

I actually pointed him at 'samba-tool user add --help' and when I
replied to the list I inadvertently sent an email to him as well and
just got this:

wynkoop+samba at wynn.com Technical details of permanent failure: Google
tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the
recipient domain wynn.com by wa3yre.wynn.com. [199.89.147.3]. The error
that the other server returned was: 554 5.7.1 Mail (42499-06917) appears
to be unsolicited - resend the mail with 622ARANDOM appended to the
subject and contact postmaster at wynn.com for resolution

So the OP wants help but only on his terms.

Rowland