[Samba] recreate/re-provision DNS db from scratch?

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Thu Feb 26 02:12:00 MST 2015

Hi Bram,

> One Samba server (DC & file server), no replication, 4.0.6 and this is my
> Xth attempt to upgrade the #@$^ thing. Each time it ends up broken and I
> have to rollback, unfortunately. And each time I hope a new version fixes
> the issue or that I can find the cause. As you can imagine this is quite a
> problem, not in the least with regards to security.

if you are really eager to update as soon as possible and there is only
a DNS issue, you can always switch back to plain file bind9 DNS zones
like in the good ol' days, it still works great even if it is not as
convenient as samba4 DNS. I had to do that once when working a DC with
ailling DNS zones (I don't remember exactly what I did to get it back on
track).

On the screwed up DC, can you still connect throught ldap and display
the base object of the dc=domaindnszones,dc=yourdomain,dc=lan?

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon