[Samba] Samba4, idmap.ldb & ID_TYPE_BOTH

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 21 18:02:34 MST 2015

On Sat, 2015-02-21 at 21:37 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 21/02/15 19:26, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 17:15 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> > > This all leads me to my questions, why, when it comes to idmap.ldb,
> > > can
> > > a user also be a group and a group can also be a user and why was it
> > > setup like this in the first place ? , there must be a reason for it.
> > It goes like this:
> >
> >  - Groups can own files (there are groups like domain administrators
> > that own files in sysvol)
>
> Does domain administrators own the files ? as I posted earlier, trying
> to reset sysvol is failing for me and the relevant part of the ACL is
> this:
>
> O:LAG:DAD:P(A;OICI

I don't recall exactly which ACL on which file, but yes, an instance of
a group owning a file does exist in sysvol.  That group is deliberately
left as having an ID assigned in idmap.ldb, not mapped to a system group
(if that is ever a good idea is another thread), for this reason.

> This is the start of the ACL and if we expand it for better reading
> 'O:LA' 'G:DA 'D:P(A;OICI'. The first part is the owner, the second is
> the group and the third is the start of the ACEs. So the owner (O) is
> LA which is 'Local Administrator' and the group (G) is DA which is
> 'Domain Administrators' , as I read it, Domain Administrators doesn't
> own the files, or am I missing something?
>
> >  - We don't (eg in sidHistory, or when files are migrated, preserving
> > permissions, from a workstation or from a domain that is not trusted)
> > always know if an incoming SID is a user or group.
>
> does windows know from the SID what the object is? and if not, what
> does windows do?

In Windows, a SID is a SID, and there is no need to translate it to
anything else for access checking.

> >  - Working out if an arbitrary SID is a user or group takes time and
> > network operations, which may fail.  ID_TYPE_BOTH is both fast and
> > deterministic in this respect.
>
> And in my opinion (which is worth very little) it is a kludge, also
> does a group actually try to connect (note, I do not know if this
> happens, which is why I am asking) and if so how ? a group doesn't
> have a password so how can it authenticate?

At the large scale, everything that can happen, will happen, and it will
generate a support call.  Better not to have situations where random
network issues can change the on-disk behaviour.  A group can't
authenticate, but a user is of course members of groups, and groups can
be assigned ownership of files.

> > My view is that we should always have mapped SIDs to both a UID and GID,
> > and I understand that in general, we are doing that now in new backends.
> > See for example idmap_rid and idmap_autorid.
> >
> > The only tricky bit is that while a user can be put in an extra group to
> > pick up any permissions assigned to it as a group, a group can't get
> > user-based permissions, so can't obtain the extra rights associated with
> > file ownership.
>
> Again I ask, what file ownership? can you please name a file that a
> windows group owns, sorry if I am coming across as negative here, but
> I am struggling to understand just how a group can own files, I am
> used to files belonging to a user and members of a group being allowed
> access to them.

You can, for instance, change the owner of a file to a group.

Andrew Bartlett