[Samba] Samba4, browselist, nbt and wins

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 02:43:36 MST 2015

On 17/02/15 22:49, Chris Fischer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i'am still confused when searching around for samba4 adc, wins and
> browselist.
> In my DCs smb.conf I have activated the server service nbt, defined
> wins support = yes and could not see my domain controller in
> browselist. Before provision from samba3 with ldap, I renamed the pdc,
> because the old one had the same name like the domain (was working
> well over years). Today my browselist shows a computer with the name
> of the old pdc (now domain name only), the servers shares are listed
> but not accessible. The last mod date of my wins.ldb in
> /var/private/samba/ is the date of provision to samba4, one year in
> the past.
>
> In sambas wiki in the FAQ (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/FAQ) you
> give the advice to use samba4wins. In this list I found a post, which
> says, this code is in samba4 and activated with above mentioned nbt
> server service. Now I installed samba4wins, started it and got a
> wins.ldb in an other directory with exactly the same size like the
> wins.ldb in the samba4 directory has. An ldbsearch in wins_config.ldb
> gaves zero entries.
>
> Now my questions:
> - Is it by design, that an samba4 active directory server is not
> listed in the browselist?
> - Is it right, that an samba4 adc server appears in browselist with
> its domain name, or is it an issue because of my old config, having a
> pdc with the same name like the domainname
> - was the samba4wins code integrated in the samba4 server and
> obsoletes installing an extra samba4wins package
> - what can I do, to have the DC listed in the browse list?
>

> Thank you for your help.
>
> Chris

To answer your questions:
Yes.
It shouldn't appear in your browse list
Yes.
Start writing code to replace 'nbt' with the 'nmbd' daemon :-)

Or the long version, Samba 4.x uses 'nbt', this is part of the 'samba'
daemon, you cannot run the 'nmbd' daemon with the 'samba' daemon.
unfortunately 'nbt' is not as feature rich as 'nmbd', this means that
there is no browsing with a samba4 AD DC. If you really must have
browsing, you have two options, either wait until the devs find time to
replace 'nbt' with 'nmbd' or starting writing the code to do it
yourself, I am sure that the devs will welcome any patches to do what
you require.

Rowland