[Samba] Can't create users with RSAT - "An error occurred. Contact you system administrator"

Andreas Hauffe andreas.hauffe at tu-dresden.de
Mon Feb 2 13:00:16 MST 2015

Am Montag, 2. Februar 2015, 17:44:53 schrieb Marc Muehlfeld:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> Am 02.02.2015 um 13:00 schrieb Andreas Hauffe:
> > I set up a new AD with the Sernet Samba 4.1 packages. I did the
> > provisioning with "samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307
> > --interactive". I checked the dc, ldap, kerberos and dns services under
> > linux. Everything seems to work fine.
> >
> > Then I join a Windows 8.1 Enterprise running in as VM to the domain and
> > login as administrator of the domain. When I install the RSAT and try to
> > create a domain user I'm getting the error "An error occurred. Contact
> > you system administrator". But I'm able to create groups and OUs.
> > Under Linux the user creating is working. If I set the UNIX attributes for
> > the group, I'm getting the hint "Execution denied" (translated from
> > German).
> I tried it in my test environment (4.1.16 self-compiled) from ADUC on
> W8.1: Works without problems. Which account do you use to create the new
> user and in which container? The Domain Admin has all required
> permissions, of course.
>

> What does the Samba logfile says in the moment you receive the error?
> Maybe you have to increase the log level.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

Hello,

at first thanks for your answer. I tried exactly the same with a WIndows 7
Professional and it is working without any problem. So perhaps it's not a
samba or DC problem. But it seems that I'm not the only one
http://wiki.snet.at/samba_4_rsat

I did everything on a clean Active Directory with no extra users. So I used
the administrator account and tried to create the users. I tried to create the
new users in the "Users" container and inside newly created containers.

smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = ILR
        realm = ILR.MW.TU-DRESDEN.DE
        netbios name = MLRDC1
        dns forwarder = 141.30.66.135
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ilr.mw.tu-dresden.de/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No