[Samba] Authentication against FreeIPA without AD

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Dec 29 11:00:22 UTC 2015

On 29/12/15 10:00, Matt . wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if someone here is already authing against FreeIpa with some
> latest Ubuntu/SSSD install.
>
> I'm on on Ubuntu 15.10 for samba to test this out:
>
> Samba: 4.1.17
> SSSD: 2.1.17
>

> Freeipa:
>
> 4 on CentOS 7
>
> I don't need an AD so I'm folling this what still does not apply.
>
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Integrating_a_Samba_File_Server_With_IPA
>
> I hope someone can help out and it's possible wit the current versions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Hi, haven't a clue about IPA, never used it, but after reading the link
you provided, it looks like IPA is just used for authentication, Samba
is then used as a fileserver, with Samba clients accessing the files on
the fileserver.

This all sounds very like using a Samba AD DC with a Samba domain joined
fileserver with Samba domain members accessing the files on the
fileserver, and this will work easily on a Ubuntu machine, unlike the
IPA setup which will require you to work out what all the red-hat
commands actually do.

Rowland