[Samba] Authentication to Secondary Domain Controller initially fails when PDC is offline

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 18 14:42:13 UTC 2015

On 18/12/15 14:23, Ole Traupe wrote:

> Am 18.12.2015 um 14:56 schrieb Rowland penny:

>>> I would be very greatful, and I guess many others too.
>>>
>>> I heard from many sides that you should really only use bind9 in
>>> case you plan a more complicated setup. Until now I thought that
>>> having 2 DCs wasn't considered as such.
>>>

>> Hi Ole, Would you like to know how to set up bind9 ? or to put it
>> another way, you cannot login via ssh to a domain member if the the
>> first DC goes down when you are using the internal dns server. If you
>> use bind9, you can login, although there is a bit of a lag.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> Hi Rowland,
>
> yes, I would like to know how to migrate. But before that: are you
> 100% sure that this is the problem? Before having tested it?
>
> How much lag?
>
> Ole

Hi Ole, all I can say is that I have two DCs running in VMs, they use
the internal dns server. I have joined a samba domain member (again
running in a VM) to the domain. If I turn off the first DC I created, I
cannot log into the domain member via ssh, but if I have both DCs
running, I can. There is another problem, after I restart the first DC,
I still cannot login, I had to restart Samba on all three machines
before I could log into the domain member again.

With my domain that uses Bind9, I turned off the first DC and attempted
to log into a domain member via ssh, after a few seconds (approx 5) it
logged me in, I then exited again, restarted the first DC again and
tried to log in again, this time there was no lag and I logged in
straight away.

Can I suggest that you do what I did, create your own small test domain
in VMs using Bind9

Rowland