[Samba] userid shows 4294967295

Nico De Ranter nico.deranter at esaturnus.com
Mon Dec 7 12:52:46 UTC 2015

Hello again,

I'm getting close to a working setup but still run into glitches here and
there.

I have 2 Ubuntu servers working as AD server, one Ubuntu desktop with
winbind configured.   I've setup a number of accounts with Unix
properties.  I've been primarily testing with my own account which works
just fine.  I've now assigned Unix properties to another account. When I
run 'wbinfo -i' on the AD server I see the correct info:

root at dc1:~# wbinfo -i test
OFFICE\test:*:10000:500:test:/home/OFFICE/test:/bin/false

When I try the same thing on the client I get:

root at testpc2:~# wbinfo -i test
test:*:4294967295:4294967295::/home/test:/bin/bash

I also tried some other accounts and got the same result.  The only account
that seems to work fine is my own account (and no it is not in /etc/passwd
:-)

Any idea what might be wrong?

smb.conf on the client:

[global]
       security = ADS
       workgroup = OFFICE
       realm = WIN.OFFICE

       log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
       log level = 1

       kerberos method = secrets and keytab

       winbind refresh tickets = yes
       winbind trusted domains only = no
       winbind use default domain = yes
       winbind enum users  = yes
       winbind enum groups = yes
       winbind offline logon = yes

       client signing = yes
       client use spnego = yes

       idmap config = ad
       winbind nss info = rfc2307

        # Default idmap config used for BUILTIN and local accounts/groups
       idmap backend = tdb
       idmap range = 100-499

       # idmap config for domain OFFICE
       idmap config OFFICE : backend = ad
       idmap config OFFICE : schema_mode = rfc2307
       idmap config OFFICE : range = 500-29999

It worked for the user with uid 1048, it doesn't work for uid 1059, 1000,
9999, 10000

--
Nico De Ranter

Operations Engineer