[Samba] How to set unix properties from command line

Nico De Ranter nico.deranter at esaturnus.com
Mon Dec 7 10:15:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Rowland penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:

> On 04/12/15 11:52, Nico De Ranter wrote:
>
>> Samba version: 4.1.17
>>
>> I want to use a Samba AD controller to manage access to both my Windows
>> and
>> Linux boxes.  I managed to import my old Samba users using pdbedit however
>> as I want to use the new Samba AD controller to manage access to the Linux
>> workstations too I want to configure Unix properties on all my accounts.
>> Unfortunately I cannot find any command-line tool on Linux that will allow
>> me to easily fill in these properties. I looked at samba-tool and pdbedit
>> but they seem to be able to change only basic settings.  I know I can do
>> it
>> through RSAT but I don't want to have to start a Windows vm just to manage
>> my users.
>>
>> How can I manage Unix properties for my Samba AD users from the
>> command-line in Linux?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Nico
>>

> well, if my patches ever get accepted, you will be able to do with
> samba-tool what the Unix attributes tab on ADUC does. Until then, you will
> have to resort to using a script to do this.
>
> If your old setup was an NT4-style domain, you could have used the
> classic-upgrade, this would have imported all of your old users & groups
> along with all their RFC2307 attributes.

I tried doing a classic-upgrade the upgrade process always crashes without
clearly specifying why.   Therefor I reverted to using pdbedit which
appeared to be working fine, but now I noticed the export step skipped a
number of users ("build_sam_pass: Failing attempt to store user with
non-uid based user RID")

unfortunately pdbedit doesn't seem to keep the user id's (or at least it is
not filling in the id's in the unix attributes)

Nico

--
Nico De Ranter

Operations Engineer