[Samba] After joining domain, Samba uses the workgroup name, not the FQDN when running the net ads command

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 3 22:08:08 UTC 2015

On 03/12/15 21:55, Jonathan S. Fisher wrote:
> It doesn't work, even with the DNS set as such:
>
> root at freeradius:~# sudo net rpc info -UWINDOWS\\Administrator
> Unable to find a suitable server for domain WINDOWS
>
> Our registered domain is XXX.com. corp.XXX.com <http://corp.XXX.com>
> and windows.corp.XXX.com <http://windows.corp.XXX.com> are internal
> and not resolvable on any public DNS server.
>
> I was curious if anyone else had any comments on these two questions I
> had:
>
> * What is this lmhosts thing it's looking for?

lmhosts is the windows version of /etc/hosts, if you have a line in
smb.conf that references this, I would suggest you remove it unless it
matches the default one:   name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast

> * Is this what went wrong? > internal_resolve_name: looking up
> WINDOWS#1b (sitename (null))

Possibly, but your client should find everything via DNS.
Does your smb.conf match the one that can be found on the Samba wiki
(with changes for your NETBios name & realm)? This is known to work.

Rowland