[Samba] Backup Member Server

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Dec 2 19:06:02 UTC 2015

Hello James,

Am 02.12.2015 um 15:57 schrieb James:
>     Can someone point me to documentation on how to best backup a samba
> member server? I see the wiki currently does not contain one.
>
> Is it as simple as backup all shared folders with rysnc or similar that
> will preserve ACLS along with the smb.conf? I'm currently relying on a
> raid solution. Thanks.

Yes, I should finally write that doc. :-)

What you should backup on a Domain Member:
1.) All files (share content and whatever else is important for you)
2.) Your smb.conf
3.) Your Samba databases (you can do a hotbackup with tdbbackup)

Some notes about 3.:
Depending on what your Domain Member is doing, some of the tdb files are
important, while others are recreated and can get lost. There's nothing
wrong if you backup all. :-) When I write the Wiki page, I might list
which file is important for which case.

Regards,
Marc