[Samba] More on bind_dlz - documentation I have not found

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 13:37:02 UTC 2015

On 28/08/15 14:13, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> I have not yet checked any ldap documentation on the wiki to see
>>> what it says, but I suspect a dhcp lease results in an ldap update.
>>> Would a lease expire remove that ldap info?

It should do, if dhcp is set up correctly.

> Do you mean /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d?  That is where I am
> finding files of interest.  I do not have the directory you provided.

Yes

> And what is the difference between:
>
> /usr/share/samba/setup

This stores samba docs used to install samba (or something like this)

> and
> /var/lib/private

This is where your databases etc are placed

> I see named.conf in both.  And the setup has other named.* files.
>
> But the zone htt. is NOT in there, nor would I expect it to be.
> normally MOST people use samba.mydomain.com and mydomain.com is found
> via the forwarding.  Of course there is no proper delegation of
> samba.mydomain.com so other systems cannot resolve that subdomain.
> Here I am building my own TLD, and want proper access elsewhere in my
> internal network, thus the htt.zone file needed.
>
> BTW, I do not see you using views in your named include files. From
> what I got beaten up long ago on the DNS list (Mark Andrews and I go
> back a long way in the IETF, so it is 'all in fun') that you MUST use
> views.

I personally don't use views and I don't think you really need them in a
samba domain

OK, to see the AD object for your forward zone, install ldb-tools, you
do this with 'apt-get install ldb-tools' on debian
Then run this command: ldbsearch -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb
--cross-ncs "(DC=home.htt)"

> Not for the samba zone, but yes for other zones.

You should really just use the samba DNS server (either the builtin one
or bind) for the the samba zones, but I suppose you could add other
zones, just create them with samba-tool.

Rowland