[Samba] partitions

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Aug 27 20:36:42 UTC 2015

Hello Birgit,

Am 27.08.2015 um 21:58 schrieb oeh univie edv lists:
> I'd like to set up a Samba DC, an additional DC and a Samba file server.
> Everything is configured with RAID 1. I encrypt all partitions except
> partition /boot (which is also on RAID).
>
> What partitions, partition sizes, file system types do you use on your
> Samba DC, additional DC and file server? Is there something like "best
> practice"?

I usually have the following default partitions (LV) on my production
servers

/   5 GB
/usr   5 GB
/var   5 GB
/tmp   (1-n GB)
/home   (1-n GB)
swap   (4 GB)
+ every shared folder or area datac can grow is on a separate LV, too
All filesystems are XFS. Hardware raid level 6.

You should keep in mind, that you may have folders/areas that can be
filled by services or users with data. And if the volume they are on run
out of space, it could happen, that other services stop running.

An example: If you're having /var on a volume and your Samba DC
databases in /var/lib/samba/ on the same one, it could happen, that the
logs (/var/log/...) fill the volume, what causes your DC stop running,
because it can't write into it's databases any more. If you worry about
that, I would put /var/lib/samba/ on a separate volume. Or you're having
a good network monitoring or automatic resizing mechanisms, that
prevents you from such problems. ;-)

Regards,
Marc