[Samba] Using pdbedit To Modify A User?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 19:16:24 UTC 2015

On 27/08/15 19:55, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 19:05:35 +0100
> Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> Hi, it might help if you can explain why you want the Administrator
>> to be in your Domain.
> Uhm... It seemed like The Right Thing To Do? :)

You seem to be running the pdbedit command on the samba4 DC, try running
this:

getent passwd Administrator

This should return something like this:

EXAMPLE\Administrator:*:0:10000::/home/EXAMPLE/Administrator:/bin/bash

This is provided you have setup windbind in pam and /etc/nsswitch.conf

Now this:

getent passwd root
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

If you notice, they both have the same UID '0'

On a DC, Administrator is automatically mapped to root, this is the only
place this happens, if you have any other Unix computers, you will need
to do this mapping yourself, either by giving Administrator a uidNumber
or by using user map file.

>> Also what docs are you reading ?
> What haven't I read?  Everything I could find.
>
> Some of it perhaps not the right thing, tho.  I just ran across this:
>
>      https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
>
> and the thing I mentioned previously didn't even mention "by the way:
> If you're running BIND..."

There are a lot of docs on the samba wiki about using bind with a samba4
DC, this includes when you provision with the internal DNS server and
then want to use bind9 instead and as I said, it is not recommended to
use bind flatfile, use BIND9_DLZ instead.

Rowland