[Samba] Questions about Samba 4

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Mon Aug 24 19:21:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015, Sven Schwedas wrote:

> On 2015-08-13 03:55, Marcio Demetrio Bacci wrote:
>> 3) Ubuntu 14 Workstations
>> What are the packages needed to join the station in the domain?
>
> Depends on your needs. If you don't need samba file/printer sharing
> /from/ the member, I'd recommend using SSSD. It's much more stable and
> reliable than winbindd.

Note that even if you use SSSD, you may still want to join the machine to
the domain.  This way you get automatic working kerberos keys (assuming
you set your smb.conf to use the system keytab file).

Looks like the package you need for the "net" binary needed to join is
"samba-bin-common".  If you want to use winbind, you'll also need the
"winbind" package.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/samba-common-bin/filelist
http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/amd64/winbind/filelist